Started in New York City, United States in 2012 by the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact team of 92Y, Giving Tuesday is celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, in response to Black Friday and Cyber Monday days of consumption. It is a day that allows individuals, organizations, and communities around the world to come together around a common goal: to celebrate and encourage giving. It demonstrates how every act of generosity counts, and that they mean even more when we give together.
Over the years, the movement has grown to over 100 countries and has spurred countless acts of generosity by millions of givers. GivingTuesday harnesses the potential of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities: it provides a platform for them to encourage the donation of time. resources and talents to address local challenges. It also brings together the collective power of a unique blend of partners - nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses, and corporations, as well as families and individuals - to encourage and amplify small acts of kindness.
As we are all experiencing the Covid-19 pandemic, GivingTuesday unites everyone around the world to show healing and solidarity by giving back in all ways, regardless of who or where we are.
In 2020, Giving TuesdayPH joined the global network of GivingTuesday. It is the iteration of the GivingTuesday movement in the Philippines, and adapts the global campaign to be more
culturally responsive to Filipinos
How can I participate in GivingTuesday?
- Participating in GivingTuesday means that you’re joining a global movement for generosity and there are so many ways to do that. Whether you give your voice, goods, your time, or your money, being generous is a way to fight for the causes you care about and help people in need.
- Connect with your local GivingTuesday movement to learn more about how you can give back in the Philippines
- Here are some ideas you might consider:
- Share kindness with your neighbors.
- Volunteer virtually or share your talents
- Give your voice to a cause that matters to you
- Discover a local fundraiser, community drive or coordinated event to join others in your area or with your same interests in giving back -- they need your help. Search for opportunities here
- Give to your favorite cause or a fundraiser to help those in need.
- Use social media to spread the word!
- Talk about giving and generosity using the hashtag #GivingTuesdayPh
- Share our Facebook posts — facebook.com/GivingTuesdayph
- Instagram — givingtuesday
- Share our social media channels in your organizational and personal social networks
- Announce your participation in GivingTuesday to your networks and email lists
- Visit our website for more ideas and information
What does it cost to participate?
- There are no costs to participating in GivingTuesday. GivingTuesday is a free and open movement to unleash generosity and all of our resources are available for free through our website.
- If your nonprofit is using a digital fundraising platform, there may be costs associated with the tools you choose to use – check with your technology providers to learn more.
Does GivingTuesday raise money or collect fees on GivingTuesday?
- No, all fundraising activities and the funds raised on GivingTuesday are directed by each participating nonprofit organization and processed by the giving platform of their choice.
I want to give back, help my neighbors and volunteer, but how can I do that safely?
- GivingTuesday is focused on ways to give back and bring communities together safely. We encourage individuals and organizations to adhere to public health guidelines and physical distancing to help reduce the spread of the virus and flatten the curve.
- There are many ways people can give back and communities can organize while still staying safe.
- There is no reason that our physical separation means we can’t provide the financial, emotional and social supports that nurture our families and communities. We all have gifts to give, and with social media, online giving, delivery, mail, and phones, there are limitless ways to use your generosity to support others. Embrace your power to be a beacon for others, and act.
- GivingTuesdayPh will share specific opportunities for individuals to participate in local and country campaigns as well as ideas they can take and use for individual action or to rally their family, friends, neighbors, coworkers and networks to do good.
Can I still give even if I don’t have any money?
- If you are an individual who wants to give back, there are many ways to do so. GivingTuesday is about giving of all types -- some may choose to give a financial contribution to their favorite cause or a fundraising drive, others will opt to reach out to neighbors, start an advocacy campaign, donate goods or extra supplies, share gratitude to frontline workers and those keeping us safe. If you can show generosity and share kindness, you have something to give!
How can nonprofits + community organizations get involved?
- As a nonprofit or community organization, you can decide how much you’d like to do during GivingTuesday and what type of activity you’d like to promote. Some organizations host fundraising events, while others use the opportunity to reach out to their community with special content, or to thank their donors.
- Organizations do not receive donations through the GivingTuesday website. All donations need to be made through your organization’s donation processing platform of choice.
- One great way organizations can help is to spread the word and encourage your communities and supporters to take action and do good on November 30. Use the hashtag #GivingTuesdayph when you post on social media so we can amplify your message.
- If you are part of a network or lead a group, think about ways you can rally around a cause and encourage your group to perform acts of kindness and generosity on this day. Share the ideas from our toolkits with your colleagues and decide if there’s a particularly relevant type of activity that showcases your industry, interest, skills or other unique assets.
How can my business or brand get involved in GivingTuesday?
- There are many ways you can partner with organizations that align with your goals and community outreach to help add resources to their efforts, promote giving, and engage employees and customers to foster connection and increase giving.
- Consider sponsoring a match for your favorite organization.
- Host a portion of sales event.
- Organize a staff volunteer day.
- Conduct or support a feeding program
- One great way businesses can help is to spread the word and encourage your communities and supporters to take action and do good on December 1. Use the hashtag #GivingTuesdayph when you post on social media so we can amplify your message.